Adopt Step Child in Tennessee

Step Child Adoptions in Tennessee

Can I Adopt My Step Child?

Raising your step child and love him/her like your own? Thinking about making the relationship permanent? Consider step child adoption in Tennessee. A serious decision for sure. Naturally several questions arise.

Step Parent Adoption Where to Start?

First and foremost discuss this issue with your spouse. When you want to adopt your step child your spouse must consent. This is a legal requirement as well as common sense. The decision to adopt any child requires family unity. Secondly, seek the advice of an adoption attorney. If possible, do this before discussing with the child. Do not get the child involved until you know adoption is legally possible.

Legal Requirements Step Parent Adoption in Tennessee

Step parent adoption in Tennessee involves many legal requirements. First legal grounds to terminate parental rights must exist. It also must be in the best interest of your step child. Both of these involve a very complicated and complex legal analysis by an experienced attorney. The basic and most common scenario of step parent adoption involves a parent who is not involved with the child. No visits, no child support. Sometimes the parent is involved in drugs/alchohol abuse or criminal activity. But, because parental rights are so sacred the situation must involve specific time periods of abandonment or serious misconduct. Any legal ground for termination of parental rights must be proven by clear and convincing evidence.

Is Step Parent Adoption Right for Me?

The decision to adopt any child is serious. When you adopt a child you choose to create a permanent relationship as a parent. The child will have all legal rights as would a natural born child. Including inheritance and financial support. Adoption is not reversible. The rewards great, the responsibility awesome! Is step parent adoption the right choice for you? Explore and discuss with your family the emotional and relationship issues before starting an adoption. Seek legal counsel and if needed spiritual or other counsel as well.

Related Articles